Middletown Public Schools proudly recognizes and celebrates the outstanding achievements of 17 graduating student-athletes who have signed to play their respective sports at the collegiate level. In an intimate ceremony held on Friday, June 2, 2023, these exceptional individuals were honored for their dedication, talent, and commitment to both academics and athletics.
The ceremony, which took place at Middletown High School, was a momentous occasion filled with pride, excitement, and heartfelt congratulations. Parents, coaches, and friends gathered to witness the celebration of these student-athletes, who have exemplified excellence both on and off the field.
Dr. Alberto Vazquez Matos, Superintendent of Schools, stated, “I would like to express my deepest appreciation to the parents, teachers, coaches, and mentors who have supported and guided these student-athletes throughout their high school careers. It is through the collective efforts of our community that these students have been able to achieve and will continue to achieve such remarkable accomplishments.”
Ms. Elisha De Jesus, Athletic Director for Middletown Public Schools stated, "Playing a sport in college is no easy feat. This accomplishment is a testament to all of your hard work both in the classroom and on the playing surface the last four years. We are all very proud of you and wish you nothing but the best in your college experience."
Middletown Public Schools takes great pride in fostering an environment that promotes the holistic development of our students. The 17 student-athletes being recognized have demonstrated exceptional perseverance, determination, and skill throughout their high school careers. Their dedication to their respective sports has been matched by their commitment to academic excellence, making them exemplary role models for their peers and generations to come.
The entire Middletown community extends their warmest congratulations to these talented student-athletes as they embark on the next chapter of their athletic and academic journeys. Their achievements serve as an inspiration to all students, highlighting the rewards of hard work, dedication, and a growth mindset.
The following MHS graduating student-athletes have signed to play college sports:
- Jesse Baldwin: Wrestling at Johnston and Wales University (MHS Coach Dave Baldyga)
- Kris Bocchio: Men's Soccer at Albertus Magnus College (MHS Coach Sal Emanuele)
- Jada Bryant: Women's Basketball at American International College (MHS Coach Rob Smernoff)
- Marshall Butler: Men's Soccer at Saint Michael’s College (MHS Coach Sal Emanuele)
- Diego Carrillo: Men's Diving at Northern Michigan State University (MHS Coach Trevor Charles)
- Nicholas Edward: Men's Soccer at Western New England University (MHS Coach Sal Emanuele)
- Tierra Giannelli: Women's Lacrosse at Central Connecticut State University (MHS Coach Shannon Murdock)
- Aliyannah Makein: Women's Lacrosse at St. Joseph's University (MHS Coach Shannon Murdock)
- Gregory Powell: Men's Lacrosse at Mitchell College (MHS Coach Weve Valery)
- Tyler Powell: Baseball at Mitchell College (MHS Coach Dan Botti)
- Caleb Reed: Baseball at Western New England University (MHS Coach Dan Botti)
- Angelo Santostefano: Men's Soccer at Curry College (MHS Coach Sal Emanuele)
- Layla Solberg: Women's Diving at Central Connecticut State University (MHS Coach Trevor Charles)
- Spencer Stahl: Baseball at University of Connecticut - Avery Point Campus (MHS Coach Dan Botti)
- Eddie Strong: Football at Missouri Valley College (MHS Coach Josh Rosek)
- Moneray Williams: Football at Anna Maria College (MHS Coach Josh Rosek)
- Eric Wilson: Baseball at Rhode Island College (MHS Coach Dan Botti)